Sunday, March 4, 2007

potholes and mangroves


Hi friends and family,

I am trying to nudge jamey into making an entry into this blog but seeing as our internet time is extremely limited and expensive we often make quick trips just to check our emails and run before the time clicks away with our dollars. We´ve discovered quickly that being here is expensive and because of that we end up halving everything. Food especially. I was eating like a starving horse in the winter time before we left and now, we manage to get by on very little by comparison. I believe its the sudden shock of our bodies being thrown into summertime mode. We play all day and eat in between.
Anyway, once we get to a place that actually has internet that works for five minute increments consistently then we will be sure to write about what kind of trouble we are getting into and our plans for the near future. Right now we are in the Bocas Del Toro region of Panama. We´re not quite sure how we feel about it. I think I had some expectations that would be met if I had a $100.00 a day to spend. We are trying to do a lot of snorkeling and swimming in whats left of the reef here after deforestation. Thats a whole other entry.
We had a great stay in Puerto Viejo and befriended a lot of quirky and helpful locals. The humidity was suffocating but amazing at the same time. Jamey is convinced he has malaria. We spent much of our time there swatting at bugs that looked like mosquitos and covering ourselves with deet. Mmmm. We made some great connections there and ate very yummy food. I would not be surprised if we ended back on the Caribbean coast again before we leave.

I hope all is well and we will be writing feverishly soon!

Peace

Kate and James

2 comments:

Margaret said...

Hilarious. Love the blog. Keep in touch -- even with Malaria. :)

Major11233 said...

So nice to hear about your travels. Once you're somewhere for a little while let me know and I'll be on my way.